I haven’t posted since March which is pretty shameful. I’ve been extremely busy working on some web services magic that I can’t really share at this point if I value my pay check. However I had a sysadmin problem today that warranted some script writing which I thought I’d share.
I’ve been trying to get Oracle Java updates to deploy via Group Policy. I’ve tried a number of different approaches before using Puppet, but all of them proved unreliable. I think I’ve got the Group Policy method cracked now and I’ll share it here soon.
Anyway, I needed a way of finding a list of machines where the JRE install had failed or not run because the user hasn’t rebooted for a while. So basically I needed to check that the Java install directory was present on all PCs on the Windows domain.
The script just gets a list of the computers in the relevant OU and then loops over them, printing a message if it finds ‘Program Files’ but not the specific Java directory. This weeds out machines that are unreachable or not running Windows (we’ve got a few Ubuntu boxes in our Workstations OU). I expected it to be much more work!